Almond milk is a great and healthy alternative to regular milk. Even without knowing it, many people have a hard time digesting regular dairy but what’s our coffee to do without the stuff? Almond milk can replace regular milk anywhere, like in your favorite recipes, smoothies, or just in a glass on its own!
So what are the benefits of almond milk? Aside from being delicious, almond milk has a plethora of positive properties. Almond milk is full of healthy fats, which help to prevent heart disease and high blood pressure.
Almond milk contains important vitamins and minerals such as E and A that help enhance immunity, protect cells from damage, and aid in growth and development. Vitamin E is also responsible for keeping our skin looking young and protecting it from sun damage. Almond milk also contains vitamin D, which helps maintain strong teeth and bones and reduces the risk of osteoporosis, arthritis, and Alzheimer’s. Lastly, it’s rich with B vitamins, such as iron and riboflavin, which help our muscles absorb and utilize protein for energy, repair, and growth.
As important as what’s in it, is what’s not. Almond milk doesn’t contain lactose, making it far easier to digest than dairy. Also, almond milk is low in carbs and therefore won’t significantly raise blood sugar levels, reducing the risk of diabetes. All of these benefits work together to keep your body healthy and happy!
Benefits of almond milk
- Contains vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants
- High in healthy fats (omega fatty acids)
- Helps with weight management
- Keeps heart healthy
- Prevents high blood pressure
- Reduces risk of arthritis and osteoporosis
- Boosts immune function
- Keeps skin glowing
- Doesn’t increase blood sugar levels
- Lactose free
- It’s easy to make and delicious!
Almond milk has definitely been gaining popularity recently and it’s gotten increasingly easier to find at the supermarket. However, while almond milk is most definitely a nutritional powerhouse, you should opt for making your own rather than buying it at the store. When you make it yourself, you know exactly what’s going into your milk. Commercial almond milks often contain additives and unnecessary sugar. They can also be extremely expensive. So ditch the pricey store-bought stuff and whip some up fresh at home with this recipe. It’s TOO EASY and too delicious! Here’s how to make Almond Milk.
“Too Easy” Almond Milk Recipe
– High speed blender
– Nut milk filter bag or cheesecloth (can be bought at any kitchen store)
– Glass jar with lid
1 cup almonds, soaked
3 – 4 cups water, filtered
1 – 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Soak almonds in water over night
- Strain almonds and discard the dirty water
- Rinse the almonds thoroughly
- Blend the almonds with 3 cups of water (or use 4 cups if you like it less creamy!) and a teaspoon (or 2) of vanilla until smooth
- Strain mixture through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth and squeeze milk into a bowl
- Transfer almond milk into a bottle
- Keep well covered and shake before using
Bonus: Use the almond meal in any other recipes that call for flour, oatmeal or almond meal.
Hey! Do you like almond milk? How do you use it? Share your recipes or ideas in the comments below!